Dr. Rachel Endecott
Extension Beef Cattle Specialist
219 Linfield Hall, MSU-Bozeman
Bozeman, MT 59717
Phone (406) 994-3747
Fax (406) 994-5589
B.S. Montana State University, Animal Science,
M.S. New Mexico State University,
Ph.D. New Mexico State University,
ANSC 434R Beef Cattle Management
- Beef Cattle Management
Accomplishments and Interests
- Conducts 20 to 30 sheep production workshops yearly throughout Montana on sheep genetics, reproduction, nutrition, health, management & marketing.
- Coordinates the Montana Central Ram Test and the Montana On-Farm Ram Testing Program.
- Conducts enhanced wool preparation and marketing workshops which are designed to add value to wool produced in Montana.
- Evaluates the effects of improved wool preparation methods on wool value.
- Evaluates the potential benefits of utilizing Australian Merino sheep on crossbreeding programs with domestic breeds of sheep (cooperative study with U.S. Sheep Station, DuBois; Texas A&M; & University of California).
Dafoe, J.M., R.W. Kott, B.F. Sowell, J.G. Berardinelli, K.C. Davis, and P.G. Hatfield. 2008. Effects of supplemental safflower and vitamin E during late gestation on lamb growth, serum metabolites, and thermogenesis. J. Anim. Sci. 86:3194-3202.
Thrift, B.D., J.C. Mosley, T.K. Brewer, B.L. Roeder, B.E. Olson, and R.W. Kott. 2008. Prescribed sheep grazing to suppress spotted knapweed on foothill rangeland. Rangeland Ecol. Manage. 61:18-25.
- Kott, R.W., 2007. Book Review—Nutrient Requirements of Small Ruminants: Sheep, Goats, Cervids and New World Camelids (Animal Nutrition Series). JAVMA 231:881-882.
- Lloyd, J.E., G.D. Johnson, R.W, Kott, H.B. Goosey and D.E. Legg, 2007. Clean-Up™ Pour-On Insecticide With Igr To Control Sheep Ked. Arthropod Management Tests 32:k1.
- Hatfield, P.G., S.L. Blodgett, T.M. Spezzano, H.B. Goosey, A.W. Lenssen, R.W. Kott, and C.B. Marlow, 2007. Incorporating sheep into dryland grain production systems: Impact on over-wintering larva populations of Wheat stem sawfly, Cephus cintus Norton, (Hymenoptera: Cephidae). Small Rum. Res. 67:209-215.
- Hatfield, P.G., A.W. Lenssen, T.M. Spezzano, S.L. Blodgett, H.B. Goosey, R.W. Kott, and C.B. Marlow, 2007. Incorporating sheep into dryland grain production systems: Impact on changes in biomass and weed frequency. Small Rum. Res. 67:216-221.
- Hatfield, P.G., H.B. Goosey, T.M. Spezzano, S.L. Blodgett, A.W. Lenssen, R.W. Kott, and C.B. Marlow, 2007. Incorporating sheep into dryland grain production systems: Impact on changes in soil bulk density and soil nutrient profiles. Small Rum. Res. 67:222-231
- Borg, R.C., D.R. Notter, L.A. Kuehn, and R.W. Kott, 2007. Breeding objectives for Targhee Sheep. J. Animal Sci. 2815-2829.
- Notter, D.R., L.A. Kuehn, and R.M. Kott, 2007. Generic analysis of fibre characteristics in adult Targhee ewes and their relationship to breeding value estimates derived from yearling fleeces. Small Ruminant Res. 67:164-172.
- Surber, L., Roeder, B., P.G. Hatfield, and R.W. Kott. 2006. Feedlot performance and carcass characteristics of spring-born wethers finished on an 80% barley diet either in the fall or spring and slaughtered at seven to eight, or fourteen to fifteen months of age, respectively. Small Rum. Res. 66:102-107.
- Boles, J.A., R.W. Kott, P.G. Hatfield, J.W. Berman, and C.R. Flynn. 2005. Supplemental safflower oil affects the fatty acid profile, including conjugated linoleic acid, of lamb. J. Anim. Sci. 83: 2175-2181.
- Goosey, H.B., P.G. Hatfield, A.W. Lenssen, S.L. Blodgett and R.W. Kott. 2005. The potential role of sheep in dryland grain production systems. Agric. Ecosystems Environ. 111: 349-353.
- Kott, R.W., Hatfield, P.G., Bergman, J.W., Flynn, C.R., VanWagoner, H., Boles, J.A. 2003. Feedlot performance, carcass composition, and muscle and fat CLA concentration of lambs fed diets supplemented with safflower seeds. Small Ruminant Research 49:11-17.
- Hatfield, P. G., B. L. Robinson, D. Minikheim, R. W. Kott, N. I. Roth, J. T. Daniels, and C. K. Swenson. 2002. Serum α-tocopherol and immune function in yearling ewes supplemented with zinc and vitamin E. J. Anim. Sci. 80:1329.
- Griffith, D., P.G. Hatfield, and R.W. Kott. 2001. Enterprise budgeting for ewe flock operations. Sheep and Goat Res. J. 17:29.
- Hatfield, P.G., C. K. Swenson, R.W. Kott, R.P. Ansotegui, N.I. Roth, and B.L. Robinson. 2001. Zinc and copper status in ewes supplemented with sulfate and amino acid complexed forms of zinc and copper. J. Anim. Sci. 79:261
- Hatfield, P.G., J. T. Daniels, R.W. Kott, and D. E. Burgess. 2001. Survival and serum IgG levels in twin born lambs supplemented with vitamin E early in life. Sheep and Goat Res. J. 17:24.
- Hatfield, P.G., J.T. Daniels, R.W. Kott, D.E. Burgess, and T.J. Evans. 2000. Role of supplemental vitamin E in lamb survival and production: A Review. Proc. Am. Soc. Anim. Sci. at: http://www.asas.org/jas/symposia/proceedings/0932.pdf .
- Hatfield, P.G., R.A. Field, J.A. Hopkins, and R.W. Kott. 2000. Palatability of wethers fed an 80% barley diet processed at different ages and of yearling wethers grazed on native range. J. Anim. Sci. 78:1779-1785
- Roeder, R.L., V.M. Thomas, R.W. Kott, P.G. Hatfield, and D. Burgess. 2000. Effect of short term prepartum feeding of levels and type of protein on ewe performance and colostrum accumulation. Sheep and Goat Res. J. 16:1-6.
- Daniels, J.T., D.E. Burgess, P.G. Hatfield, and R.W. Kott. 2000. An ELISA method for determining sheep serum IgG concentration. Sheep and Goat Res. J. 16:33-34.
- Daniels, J.T., P.G. Hatfield, D. E. Burgess, R.W. Kott, and J.G.P. Bowman. 2000. Evaluation of ewe and lamb immune response when ewes were supplemented with vitamin E. J. Anim. Sci. 78:2731-2736.
- Hamadeh, S.K., P.G. Hatfield, B. L. Robinson, N. J. Roth, and R. W. Kott. 2000. Alpha acid glycoprotein (AGP) as an early indicator of stress in new-born lambs. Sheep and Goat Res. J. 16:72-73.
- Hamadeh, S. K., P.G. Hatfield, R.W. Kott, B.F. Sowell, B.L. Robinson, and N.J. Roth. 2000. Effects of Breed, Sex, Birth Type and Colostrum Intake on Cold Tolerance in Newborn Lambs. Sheep and Goat Research Journal. 16:46-51.
- Hatfield, P.G., S.L. Blodgett, G.D. Johnson, P.M. Denke, R.W. Kott, and M.W. Carroll. 1999. Sheep Grazing to Control Wheat Stem Sawfly, a Preliminary Study. Sheep and Goat Res. J.15:159-16.