Dr. Greg Johnson
Greg Johnson and Kristina Hale, former graduate student, bleed a sentinel chicken for West Nile virus surveillance at Medicine Lake National Wildlife
Professor Veterinary Entomology
Dept. of Animal and Range Sciences
Marsh Lab Rm. 70
PO Box 172900
Bozeman, MT 59717
Phone: (406) 994-3875
Fax: (406) 994-5589
Ph.D. University of Wyoming, 1978
M.S. University of Wyoming, 1975
B.S. Eastern Mennonite University, 1970
Research in my laboratory focuses on the biology, ecology and management of arthropod pests that attack livestock and wildlife. Field and laboratory studies have been conducted on West Nile virus determining vector distribution in the state, identifying enzootic and epizootic zones of virus transmission and studying the impact of WNV on sage grouse and American white pelicans. Research has also been conducted on biting midges (Culicoides) and bluetongue virus focusing on vector competency and midge distribution in the state. I also conduct studies on insecticide management of different livestock pests that cause direct losses and affect livestock production. Included in this group are cattle grubs, horn flies, sheep keds and the African blue louse.
Completed Graduate Students
- Hale, K. M. 2011. Proximate causation of stable fly (Stomoxys calcitrans (L.)) host use: the influence of phenology and host blood suitability. Ph.D. Dissertation. 113p.
Hale, K. M. 2007. Investigations of the West Nile Transmission Cycle at Medicine Lake National Wildlife Refuge, Montana 2005-2006. Montana State University. MS Thesis. 74p.
- Doherty, M. K. 2007. Mosquito Populations in the Powder River Basin, Wyoming: A Comparison of Natural, Agricultural and Effluent Coal Be Natural Gas Aquatic Habitats. Montana State University. MS Thesis. 95p.
- Extension efforts focus on disseminating timely information about applied research results and vector surveillance activities through educational meetings, popular press articles and news releases.
- Otranto, D., G. Johnson, K. Syvrud, S. Yoon, J. Hunter and S. Rehbein. 2016. Treatment and control of bovine hypodermosis with ivermectin long-acting injection (IVOMEC® GOLD). Parasites & Vectors. 551. DOI: 10.1186/s13071-016-1823-8.
- MSU-ES [Montana State University – Extension Service]. 2015. Montana Mosquito Surveillance. [Internet]. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University – Extension Service. Available from: http://django.msu.montana.edu/MTmosquito/.
- Goosey, H., J. Hatfield, M. Rolston, P. Hatfield, G. Johnson. 2013. Hymenoptera parasitoid response to sheep grazing, tillage, and herbicides in wheat-fallow rotations. J. Kan. Ent. Soc. 86: 22-35.
- Johnson, G., C. Bahnson, P. Ishii, Z. Cochrane, G. Hokit, P. Plummer, L. Bartholomay, B. Blitvich. 2014. Monitoring sheep and Culicoides midges in Montana for evidence of Bunyamwera serogroup virus infection. Vet Rec. Open. 0:e000071. doi:10.1136/vetreco-2014- 000071.
- Friesen, K. M., and G. D. Johnson. 2013. Mosquito and West Nile virus surveillance in northeast Montana, 2005-2006. Med. Vet. Entomol. 27:1–9.
- Johnson, G. D., H. B. Goosey, M. G. Rolston, W. L. Miller, D. G. Hokit, R. R. Redden, and R. J. Kott. 2013. Evaluation of mosquito responses to pyrethroid insecticides topically applied to sheep. J. American Mosq. Control Assoc. 29:146–153.
- Friesen, K. M., and G. D. Johnson. 2013. Evaluation of methods for collecting blood engorged mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) from habitats within a wildlife refuge in northeast Montana. J. American Mosq. Control Assoc. 29:102–107.
- Friesen, K. M., and G. D. Johnson. 2013. Stable fly (Diptera: Muscidae) phenology in a mixed agricultural-wildlife ecosystem in northeast Montana. Environ. Entomol. 42:49–57.
- Hokit, G., S. Alvey, J. Geiger, G. Johnson, M. Rolston, D. Kinsey, and N. Tall Bear. 2013. Using undergraduate researchers to build vector and West Nile virus surveillance capacity. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 10:3192–3202.
- Rolston, M., and G. Johnson. 2013. Ticks on companion animals. MSU Extension Service. MT201303AG.
- Johnson, G., N. Panella, K. Hale, and N. Komar. 2010. Detection of West Nile virus in stable flies (Diptera: Muscidae) parasitizing juvenile American White Pelicans. J. Med. Entomol. 47:1205-1211.
- Johnson, G., N. Nemeth, K. Hale, N. Lindsey, N. Panella, and N. Komar. 2010. Surveillance for West Nile virus in American White Pelicans, Montana, USA. Emerg. Infect. Dis. 16:406-411.
- Reeves, W., J. Lloyd, R. Stobart, C. Stith, M. Miller, K. Bennett, and G. Johnson. 2010. Control of Culicoides sonorensis (Diptera: Ceratopogonidae) blood feeding on Sheep with long-lasting repellent pesticides. J. Am. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. 26:302-305.
- Miller, M., J. Brown, T. Cornish, G. Johnson, J. Mecham, W. Reeves, and W. Wilson. 2010. Investigation of an epizootic of Bluetongue virus serotype 17 in sheep in Wyoming. JAVMA 237:955-959.
- Lenssen, A. W., U. M. Sainju, D. C. Cash, P. G. Hatfield, W. R. Grey, S. L. Blodgett, H. B. Goosey, D. R. Griffith, and G. D. Johnson. 2010. Yield, quality, water use, and nitrogen uptake of durum and annual forages in two-year rotations. Agronomy J. 102:1261-1268.
- Johnson, G. 2010. Management of lice on livestock. MSU Extension Service. MT201002AG.
- Johnson, G. 2009. Horn flies on cattle: biology and management. MontGuide MT200912AG.
- Johnson, G. 2009. Ticks of veterinary and public health importance in Montana. MSU Ext. Bulletin.
- Lloyd, J. E., G. D. Johnson, R. W, Kott, H. B. Goosey, and D. E. Legg. 2007. Clean-up pour-on insecticide with Igr to control sheep ked. Arthropod Mgmt. Tests 32:k1.
- Johnson, G. D. 2007. Cutworms. In: Handbook of Small Grain Insects. G. D. Buntin, K. S. Pike, M. J. Weiss, and J. A. Webster (Eds). APS Press. pp. 53-55.
- Lenssen, A. W., G. D. Johnson, S. L. Blodgett, and H. B. Goosey. 2007. Influence of tillage system, oilseed species, and insecticidal seed treatment on flea beetle (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) damage, oilseed production, and postharvest residue cover. J. Entomol. Sci. 42:1-10.
- Lenssen, A. W., G. D. Johnson, and G. R. Carlson. 2007. Cropping sequence and tillage system influences annual crop production and water use in semiarid Montana, USA. Field Crops Res. 100:32-43.
- Lenssen, A. W., J. T. Waddell, G. D. Johnson, and G. R. Carlson. 2007. Diversified cropping systems in semiarid Montana: Nitrogen use during drought. Soil Tillage Res. 94:362-375.
- Chen, C., G. Jackson, K. Neill, D. Wichman, G. Johnson, and D. Johnson. 2005. Determining the feasibility of early seeding canola in the Northern Great Plains. Agron. J. 97:1252-1262.
- Naugle, D. E., C. L. Aldridge, B. L. Walker, B. J. Moynahan, M. J. Holloran, K. Brown, G. D. Johnson, and E. T. Schmidtmann. 2004. West Nile virus: pending crisis for greater sage grouse. Ecology Letters 7:704-713.