Greg Johnson and Kristina Hale, former graduate student, bleed a sentinel chicken for West Nile virus
surveillance at Medicine Lake National Wildlife
Professor Veterinary Entomology
Dept. of Animal and Range Sciences
Marsh Lab Rm. 70
PO Box 172900
Bozeman, MT 59717
Phone: (406) 994-3875
Fax: (406) 994-5589
Ph.D. University of Wyoming, 1978
M.S. University of Wyoming, 1975
B.S. Eastern Mennonite University, 1970
ANSC 410 Veterinary Entomology
Research in my laboratory focuses on the biology, ecology and management of arthropod pests that attack livestock and wildlife. Field and laboratory studies have been conducted on West Nile virus determining vector distribution in the state, identifying enzootic and epizootic zones of virus transmission and studying the impact of WNV on sage grouse and American white pelicans. Research has also been conducted on biting midges (Culicoides) and bluetongue virus focusing on vector competency and midge distribution in the state. I also conduct studies on insecticide management of different livestock pests that cause direct losses and affect livestock production. Included in this group are cattle grubs, horn flies, sheep keds and the African blue louse.
Completed Graduate Students
- Hale, K. M. 2011. Proximate causation of stable fly (Stomoxys calcitrans (L.)) host use: the influence of phenology and host blood suitability. Ph.D. Dissertation. 113p.
Hale, K. M. 2007. Investigations of the West Nile Transmission Cycle at Medicine Lake National Wildlife Refuge, Montana 2005-2006. Montana State University. MS Thesis. 74p.
- Doherty, M. K. 2007. Mosquito Populations in the Powder River Basin, Wyoming: A Comparison of Natural, Agricultural and Effluent Coal Be Natural Gas Aquatic Habitats. Montana State University. MS Thesis. 95p.
- Extension efforts focus on disseminating timely information about applied research results and vector surveillance activities through educational meetings, popular press articles and news releases.
- Johnson, G., N. Panella, K. Hale and N. Komar. 2010. Detection of West Nile Virus in Stable Flies (Diptera: Muscidae) Parasitizing Juvenile American White Pelicans. J. Med. Entomol 47: 1205 – 1211.
- Johnson, G., N. Nemeth, K. Hale, N. Lindsey, N. Panella and N. Komar. 2010. Surveillance for West Nile Virus in American White Pelicans, Montana, USA, 2006 – 2007. Emerg. Infect. Dis. 16: 406 – 411.
- Reeves, W., J. Lloyd, R. Stobart, C. Stith, M. Miller, K. Bennett and G. Johnson. 2010. Control of Culicoides sonorensis (Diptera: Ceratopogonidae) Blood Feeding on Sheep with Long-lasting Repellent Pesticides. J. Am. Mosq. Contr. Assoc. 26: 302 – 305.
- Miller, M., J. Brown, T. Cornish, G. Johnson, J. Mecham, W. Reeves and W. Wilson. 2010. Investigation of an Epizootic of Bluetongue Virus Serotype 17 in Sheep in Wyoming. JAVMA. 237: 955 – 959.
- Lenssen, A.W., U.M. Sainju, D.C. Cash, P.G. Hatfield, W.R. Grey, S.L. Blodgett, H.B. Goosey, D.R. Griffith, and G.D. Johnson. 2010. Yield, quality, water use, and nitrogen uptake of durum and annual forages in two-year rotations. Agronomy Journal 102:1261-1268.
- Johnson, G. 2010. Management of Lice on Livestock. MSU Extension Service. MT201002AG.
- Johnson, G. 2009. Horn flies on cattle: biology and management. MontGuide MT 200912AG.
- Johnson, G. 2009. Ticks of veterinary and public health importance in Montana. MSU Ext. Bulletin. In press.
- Lloyd, J.E., G.D. Johnson, R.W, Kott, H.B. Goosey and D.E. Legg, 2007. Clean-Up™ Pour-On Insecticide With Igr To Control Sheep Ked. Arthropod Management Tests 32:k1.
- Johnson, G.D., 2007. Cutworms. In Handbook of Small Grain Insects. G.D. Buntin, K.S. Pike, M J. Weiss and J.A. Webster eds. APS Press. P 53-55.
- Lenssen, A.W., G.D. Johnson, S.L. Blodgett and H.B. Goosey, 2007. Influence of tillage system, oilseed species, and insecticidal seed treatment on flea beetle (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) damage, oilseed production, and postharvest residue cover. J. Entomol. Sci. 42:1-10.
- Lenssen, A.W., G.D. Johnson and G.R. Carlson, 2007. Cropping sequence and tillage system influences annual crop production and water use in semiarid Montana, USA. Field Crops Res. 100:32-43.
- Lenssen, A.W., J.T. Waddell, G.D. Johnson and G.R. Carlson, 2007. Diversified cropping systems in semiarid Montana: Nitrogen use during drought. Soil and Tillage Res. 94:362-375.
- Chen, C., G. Jackson, K. Neill, D. Wichman, G. Johnson, and D. Johnson. 2005. Determining the feasibility of early seeding canola in the Northern Great Plains. Agron. J. 97: 1252-1262.
- Naugle, D.E., C. L. Aldridge, B. L. Walker, B.J. Moynahan, M.J. Holloran, K. Brown, G. D. Johnson, E.T. Schmidtmann… 2004. West Nile virus: pending crisis for greater sage grouse. Ecology Letters. 7: 704-713.