|Dr. Sowell (right) discussing range management with students.|
Professor, Range Science
205 Animal Bioscience Building
Bozeman, MT 59717-2900
Phone: (406) 994-5558
Fax: (406) 994-5589
B.S. New Mexico Sate University, Wildlife Science, 1978
M.S. Texas Tech University, Range Science, 1981
Ph.D. New Mexico State University, Animal Science, 1989
NRSM 101 Natural Resource Conservation
NRSM 102 Principles of Range Management Lab
NRSM 353 Grazing Ecology
WILD 325 Wildlife-Livestock Range Nutrition
ARNR 507 Research Methods
ARNR 544 Advanced Grazing Management and Ecology
- Wildlife habitat
- Ungulate herbivovy
- Wildlife/Livestock nutrition
- Nutritional ecology of ruminants
- 2004 President’s Excellence in Teaching Award. Montana State University
- 2001 Distinguished Teacher Award. Western Section of the American Association of Animal Science
- 2001 Award of Excellence. MSU Alumni/Chamber of Commerce
- 2000 Professor of the Month. Mortar Board. Montana State University
- 1998 College of Agriculture: Top Ten Instructor Award. Montana State University
- 1998 Who’s Who Among Americas’ Teachers
- 1998 Phi Kappa Phi-Anna Kruser Fridley Teaching Award. Montana State University
- Runyan, M., D. Tyers, C. Bower, and B. Sowell. 2013. Aspen restoration using beaver on the northern Yellowstone winter range under reduced ungulate herbivory. Restoration Ecology. (Accepted).
- McColley, S. D., D. B. Tyers, and B. F. Sowell. Aspen and willow restoration using beaver in the northern Yellowstone winter range. 2012. Restoration Ecology 20:450-455.
- Kimble, D. S., D. B. Tyers, J. Robison-Cox, and B. F. Sowell. 2011. Aspen recovery since wolf reintroduction on the northern Yellowstone winter range. Rangeland Eval. Manage. 64:119-130.
- Sowell, B. F., C. L. Wambolt, J. K. Woodward, and V. R. Lane. 2008. Relationship of Wyoming big sagebrush cover to herbaceous vegetation. 15th Wildland Shrub Symposium, Bozeman. June 17-19.
- Dafoe, J. M., R. W. Kott, B. F. Sowell, J. G. Berardinelli, K. C. Davis, and P. G. Hatfield. 2008. Effects of supplemental safflower and vitamin E during late gestation on lamb growth, serum metabolites, and thermogenesis. J. Anim. Sci. 86:3194-3202.
- Woodward, J., C. L. Wambolt, and B. F. Sowell. 2006. Sage-grouse winter habitat in central Montana. Proc. Soc. Range Manage. 59th Annual Meeting, Vancouver, B.C.
- Bowman, J.G.P., B. F. Sowell, L.M.M. Surber, and T. K. Daniels. 2004. Nonstructural carbohydrate supplementation of yearling heifers and range beef cows. J. Anim. Sci. 82:2724-2733.
- Gibbs, M. C., J. A. Jenks, C. S. Deperno, B. F. Sowell, and K. J. Jenkins. 2004. Cervid forage utilization in noncommercially thinned ponderosa pine forests. J. Range Manage. 57:435-441.
- Johnson-Nistler, C. M., B. F. Sowell, H. Sherwood, and C. Wambolt. 2004. Black-tailed prairie dog effects on Montana’s mixed grass prairie. J. Range Manage. 57:641-648.