Dr. Tim DelCurto
Dr. Tim DelCurto
Professor & Nancy Cameron Endowed Chair
Range Beef Cattle Nutrition & Management
Department of Animal & Range Sciences
113 Animal Bioscience Building
P.O. Box 172900
Bozeman, MT 59717-2900
Office: (406) 994-3708
Cell: (541) 910-8970
B.A. General Agriculture, Oregon State University, 1984
M.S. Animal Sciences, Oregon State University, 1986
Ph.D. Animal Sciences, Kansas State University, 1989
- ANSC 222 Livestock in Sustainable Systems (team taught with Dr. Tom Murphy)
- ARNR 434 Beef Production Systems
- ARNR 521 Advanced Ruminant Nutrition (team taught)
Peer Reviewed Publications
Refereed Journal Articles
- Averett, J. P., B. McCune, C. G. Parks, B. J. Naylor, T. DelCurto, and R. Mata-Gonzalez. 2015. Non-native Plant Invasion along Elevation and Canopy Closure Gradients in a Middle Rocky Mountain Ecosystem. Plos One. Submitted.
- Averett, J. P., B. McCune, C. G. Parks, B. J. Naylor, T. DelCurto, and R. Mata-Gonzalez. 2015. Intra- and Inter-annual vegetation change along an elevation gradient in the Wallowa Mountains, Oregon. Northwest Science. Submitted.
- Vavra, M., T. DelCurto, N. Rimbey, and R. Kay. 2015. Ecological impacts of season of use on Sagebrush-Steppe Grasslands. Journal of Rangeland Applications. In press.
- Roever, C. L., M. Wisdom, M. Rowland, M. Vavra, and T. DelCurto. 2015. Integrating temporal dynamics in habitat selection models. Ecological Modelling. Submitted
- Roever, C. L., T. DelCurto, M. Rowland, M. Vavra and M. Wisdom. 2015. Cattle grazing in semiarid forestlands: Habitat selection during periods of drought. Journal of Animal Science. 93(6): 3212-3225.
- Riggs, R. A., R. E. Keane, M. Cimon, R. Cook, L. Holsinger, J. Cook, T. DelCurto, L. S. Baggett, D. Justice, D. Powell, M. Vavra, B. Naylor. 2015. Biomass and fire dynamics in a temperate forest-grassland mosaic: Integrating multi-species herbivory, climate, and fire with the FireBGGv2/GrazeBGC system. Ecological Modelling. 296:57-78.
- Cooke, R. F., D. W. Bohnert, B. I. Cappellozza, R. S. Marques, T. DelCurto, and C. J. Muller. 2014. Incorporation of sexed semen into reproductive management of cow-calf operations. J. of Livestock Science. 163:165-171.
- Darambazar, E., T. DelCurto, and D. Damiran. 2014. The Influence of Cow Age on Botanical Composition of Diets in Mountain Riparian Areas in Eastern Oregon of United States. Sustainable Agriculture Research. 3: (1) 1-9.
- Peterson, M. K., C. J. Mueller, J. T. Mulliniks, A. J. Roberts, T. DelCurto, and R. C. Waterman. 2014. Potential limitations of NRC in predicting energetic requirements of beef females within western U.S. grazing systems. J. Anim. Sci.‡ 92(7):2800-2808.
- Darambazar, E., T. DelCurto, and D. Damiran. 2013. Changes in Forage Quantity and Quality with Continued Late-Summer Cattle Grazing a Riparian Pasture in Eastern Oregon of United States. Sustainable Agriculture Research 2 (4): 64-76.
- Damiran, D., T. DelCurto, S. Findholt, B. Johnson, and M. Vavra. 2013. Comparison of Bite-Count and Rumen Evacuation Techniques to Estimate Diet Quantity and Quality in Grazing Cattle. Rangeland Ecology and Management. 66:106-109.
- Clark, A., T. DelCurto, M. Vavra, and B. L. Dick. 2013. Influence of Stocking Rate and Fuels Reduction on Beef Cattle Diet, Composition, and Quality. Rangeland Ecology and Management. 66:714 -720.
- Kimoto, C., S. J. DeBano, R. W. Thorp, R. V. Taylor, H. Schmalz, T. DelCurto, T. Johnson, P. L. Kennedy, S. Rao. 2012. Short-Term Responses of Native Bees to Livestock and Implications for Managing Ecosystem Services in Grasslands. Ecosphere 3(10):88.
- Jaeger, J.R., and T. DelCurto. 2012. Endogenous prostaglandin F2a concentrations in bovine whole semen, seminal plasma and extended semen. Theriogenology. 78:369-375.
- Cooke, R., D. Bohnert, B. Cappelloza, C.J. Mueller, and T. DelCurto. 2012. Effects of temperament and acclimation to handling on reproductive performance of Bos Taurus beef females. J. Anim. Sci.† 90:3547-3555.
- Johnson, T. N., P. L. Kennedy, T. DelCurto and R. V. Taylor. 2011. Bird community responses to cattle stocking rates in a Pacific Northwest bunchgrass prairie. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 144:338-346.
- Bohnert, D.W., T. DelCurto, A.A. Clark, M.L. Merrill, S.J. Falck, and D.L. Harmon. 2011. Protein Supplementation of Ruminants Consuming Low-Quality Cool- or Warm-Season Forage: Difference in Intake and Digestibility. Journal of Animal Science 2011, 89:3707-3717.
- Kenric J. Walburger, Micah Wells, Martin Vavra, Timothy DelCurto, Bruce Johnson, and Pricilla Coe. 2009. Influence of Cow Age on Grazing Distribution in a Mixed Conifer Forest. Rangeland Ecology and Management 62:290-296.
- J. R. Jaeger, K. C. Olson, T. DelCurto, and A. Qu. 2008. Case Study: Pattern of Parturition as Affected by Time of Feeding and Predicition of the Time of Day that Parturition Will Occur in Spring-Calving Beef Cows. Prof. Anim. Scientists 24:247-253.
- K. J. Walburger, T. DelCurto, G. D. Pulsipher, R. L. Hathaway, and G. J. Pirelli. 2008. The Effect of Fertilizing Forage with Sodium Selenate on Selenium Concentration of Hay, Drain Water and Serum Selenium Concentrations in Beef Heifers and Calves. Can. Journ. of Ani. Sci. 88 (1): 79-83.
- Damiran, D., T. DelCurto, D. W. Bohnert, and S. L. Findholt. 2008. Comparison of Techniques and Grinding Size to Estimate Digestibility of Forage Based Ruminant Diets. J. Anim. Feed Sci. and Technology 141:15-35.
- John A. Tanaka, Neil R. Rimbey L. Allen Torell, David “Tex” Taylor, Derek Bailey, Timothy DelCurto, Kenric Walburger, and Bob Welling. 2007. Grazing distribution: The quest for the silver bullet. Rangelands (August): 38-46.
- Walburger, K. J., T. DelCurto, and M. Vavra. 2007. Influence of forest management and previous herbivory on cattle diets. Rangeland Ecology and Management 60:172-178.
- Daalkhalijav, D., T. DelCurto, D. E. Johnson, S. L. Findholt, and B. K. Johnson. 2006. Estimating shrub forage yield and utilization using a photographic technique. Northwest Science 80:259-263.
Publication in Preparation
- Wyffels, S. A., T. DelCurto, A. A. Clark, P. Kennedy, R. V. Taylor, and S. J. Debano. 2015. Influence of Stocking Density on Beef Cattle Performanc and Grazing Behavior on Native Bunchgrass Prairie. Journal of Range Management. In preparation.
- Damiran D., T. DelCurto, S. L. Findholt, B. K. Johnson, and M. Vavra. 2015/16. Effects of early summer cattle or elk grazing on foraging dynamics of cattle, deer and elk on mixed-conifer rangelands in late summer. J. of Animal Sci. In preparation.
- DelCurto, T., S. A. Wyffels, C. J. Mueller, D. Damiran, E Darambazar, M. Vavra, and R. A. Riggs. 2015/16. The Influence of Habitat Type on Vegetation Quality in Mixed-Conifer Forested Rangelands. Rangeland Ecology and Management. In preparation.
- DelCurto, T., S. A. Wyffels, C. J. Mueller, D. Damiran, E Darambazar, M. Vavra, and R. A. Riggs. 2015/16. The Influence of Habitat Type and Overstory on Understory Vegetation Quality in Mixed-Conifer Forested Rangelands. Rangeland Ecology and Management. In preparation.
- Wyffels, S. A., T. DelCurto, J. Averett, and A. A. Clark. 2015/16. Influence of Beef Cattle Stocking Density on Utilization and Stubble Height of Native Bunchgrass Prairie. Rangeland Ecology and Management. In preparation
- Clark, A. A., T. DelCurto, S. A. Wyffels, C. J. Mueller, and G. L. Tschida. 2015. The Influence of Lactation on Botanical Composition, Diet Quality, and Grazing Behavior of Cattle Grazing Native Bunchgrass Prairie. Rangeland Ecology and Management. In preparation.