Dr. Jennifer Thomson
Assistant Professor, Genetics
323 Animal Bioscience Building
Montana State University
P.O. Box 172900
Bozeman, MT 59717-2900
Phone: (406) 994-7434
Fax: (406) 994-5589
- Postdoctoral training, Livestock Gentec Centre, University of Alberta, 2012
- Postdoctoral training, USDA Bovine Functional Genomics Laboratory & University of Maryland, 2008
- Ph.D. Washington State University, Animal Science, 2007
- M.S. Oregon State University, Animal Science, 2003
- B.Sc. Oregon State University, Animal Science, 2001
- ANSC 322 Principles of Animal Breeding & Genetics
- ARNR 524 Advanced Animal Breeding
- ARNR 507 Research Methods
- Nutrigenomics: the interaction between nutrients and gene expression and the contribution of this interaction to variation in economically important traits such as growth, milk production, feed efficiency, and reproduction
- Systems biology approach to understanding physiology underlying complex traits in cattle such as feed efficiency, production, immune response, and reproduction
- Integration of –omics data with traditional metabolism to improve understanding and to create next generation models of growth and production
- Thomson J. M. 2016. Impacts of environment on gene expression and epigenetic modification on grazing
animals. J. Anim. Sci. 2016.94(S6):63-73
- Lean,I., M. Lucy, J. McNamara, J. Bradford, E. Block, J. Thomson, J. Morton, P. Celi, A. Rabiee, J. Santos, W. Thatcher, S. LeBlanc. 2016. Invited Review: Recommendations for reporting intervention studies on reproductive performance in dairy cattle: Improving design, analysis, and interpretation of research on reproduction. J. Dairy Sci. 99:1-17
- Boles, J. A., K. S. Kohlbeck, M. C. Meyers, K. A. Perz, K. C. Davis, J. Thomson. 2015. The use of blood lactate concentration as an indicator of temperament and its impact on growth rate and tenderness of steaks from Simmental x Angus steers. Meat Sci 103:68-74.
- Swartz, J. D., M. Lachman, K. Westveer, T. O’Neill, T. Geary, R. W. Kott, J. G. Berardinelli, P. G. Hatfield, J. M. Thomson, and C. J. Yeoman. 2014. Characterization of the vaginal microbiota of ewes and cows reveals a unique microbiota with low levels of lactobacilli and near-neutral pH. Frontiers Vet Sci 1:1-10
- Karisa, B. K., J. Thomson, Z. Wang, C. Li, Y. R. Montanholi, S. P. Miller, S.S. Moore, G. S. Plastow. 2014. Plasma metabolites associated with residual feed intake and other productivity performance traits in beef cattle. Livestock Sci. 165: 200-211
- McNamara, J., S. Shields, J. Thomson, and E. von Heimendahl. 2013. Influence of an antioxidant supplementation on adipose and liver transcriptome in early lactation dairy cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 91, E-suppl. 2/J. Dairy Sci. 96, E-suppl. 1.
- Thomson, J., P. Stothard, and J. P. McNamara. 2013. Comparisons of the adipose transcriptome profiles of adipose tissue from beef and dairy cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 91, E-suppl.2/J. Dairy Sci. 96, E-suppl. 1.
- Thomson, J. M., P. Stothard, and J. P. McNamara. 2013. Comparison of the transcriptome profile of pooled tissue mRNA reveals differences in gene expression between beef and dairy adipose. In: J. W. Oltjen, E. Kebreab, and H. Lapierre (Ed.), Energy and Protein Metabolism and Nutrition in Sunstainable Animal Production; Sacramento, Ca. pp. 469-470. Wageningen Academic Publishers, The Netherlands.
- Karisa, B. K., J. Thomson, Z. Wang, H. L. Bruce, G. S. Plastow, and S. S. Moore. 2013. Candidate genes and biological pathways associated with carcass quality traits in beef cattle. Can J. Anim. Sci. 93:4141.
- Karisa, B. K., J. Thomson, Z. Wang, P. Stothard, S. Moore, and G. Plastow. 2013. Candidate genes and polymorphisms associated with variation in residual feed intake in beef cattle. J. Anim Sci. 91:3502-3515.
- Sumner-Thomson, J., V. Bowles, J. Choi, U. Basu, P. Stothard, and S. Moore. 2012. The identification of candidate genes and candidate gene structural variation for Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy. J. Anim. Sci. 90, Suppl. 3/J. Dairy Sci. 95, Suppl. 2.
- Sumner-Thomson, J., U. Basu, Y. Meng, P. Stothard, and S. S. Moore. 2012. Generation of mRNA transciptome atlas in the Bovine. J. Anim. Sci. 90, Suppl. 3/J. Dairy Sci. 95, Suppl. 2.
- Sumner-Thomson, J., V. Bowles, J. Choi, U. Basu, P. Stothard, and S. Moore. 2012. The identification of candidate genes and candidate gene structural variation for Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy. PRION 6:461-469.
- Baldwin, R. L., R. W. Li, C. Li, J. Sumner-Thomson, and B. Bequette. 2012. Characterization of longissimus lumborum transcriptome response to sodium propionate feeding in growing Angus beef steers. Physiological Genomics 44:543-550.
- Stothard, P., J. Choi, U. Basu, J. Sumner-Thomson, Y. Meng, X. Liao, and S. Moore. 2011. Whole genome resequencing of Black Angus and Holstein Cattle for SNP and CNV discovery. BMC Genomics 5:129.
- Sumner-Thomson, J. S., J. Vierck, and J. P. McNamara. 2011. Differential expression of genes in adipose tissue of first lactation dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 94:361-369.
- Clark, L. A., J. M. Thomson, S. S. Moore, and M. Oba. 2010. Effects of Ala293Val single nucleotide polymorphism in the stearoyl-CoA desaturase gene on conjugated linoleic acid concentration in milk fat of dairy cows. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 90:575-584.
- Baldwin, R. L., J. Sumner-Thomson, E. E. Connor, R. W. Li, K. R. Mcleod, and B. J. Bequette. 2010. Hepatic transcriptome of beef steers is differentially modulated by composition of energy-substrate supply in growing beef. In: G. M. Crovetto (Ed.), Energy and Protein Metabolism and Nutrition. pp. 313-314. Wageningen Academic Publishers, The Netherlands.
- Sumner, J. M., and J. P. McNamara. 2007. Expression of key lipolytic genes in adipose tissue of pregnant and lactating Holstein dairy cattle. In: I. Ortigues-Marty (Ed.), Energy and Protein Metabolism and Nutrition. pp. 105-106. Wageningen Academic Publishers.
- McNamara, J. P., Jennifer M. Sumner, Jan Vierck, and Alyssa Jourdan. 2007. Gene expression in adipose tissue of the dairy cow during late pregnancy and lactation fed control diets or diets with supplemental chromium: integration of gene expression into metabolic models. In: I. Ortigues-Marty (Ed.), Energy and Protein Metabolism and Nutrition. pp. 105-106. Wageningen Academic Publishers.
- Sumner, J. S., and J. P. McNamara. 2007. Expression of lipolytic genes in the adipose tissue of pregnant and lactating Holstein dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 90:5237-5246.
- Sumner, J. S., J. P. McNamara, and F. Valdez. 2007. Effects of chromium propionate on response to an intravenous glucose tolerance test in growing Holstein heifers. J. Dairy Sci. 90:3467-3474.