Dr. Bok Sowell
Dr. Sowell (right) discussing range management with students.
Professor, Range Science
205 Animal Bioscience Building
Bozeman, MT 59717-2900
Phone: (406) 994-5558
Fax: (406) 994-5589
- B.S. New Mexico State University, Wildlife Science, 1978
- M.S. Texas Tech University, Range Science, 1981
- Ph.D. New Mexico State University, Animal Science, 1989
- NRSM 101 Natural Resource Conservation
- NRSM 102 Principles of Range Management Lab
- NRSM 353 Grazing Ecology and Management
- WILD 325 Wildlife-Livestock Range Nutrition
- ARNR 544 Advanced Grazing Management and Ecology
- Wildlife habitat
- Ungulate herbivory
- Wildlife/Livestock nutrition
- 2004 President’ s Excellence in Teaching Award. Montana State University
- 2001 Distinguished Teacher Award. Western Section of the American Association of Animal Science
- 2001 Award of Excellence. MSU Alumni/Chamber of Commerce
- 2000 Professor of the Month. Mortar Board. Montana State University
- 1998 College of Agriculture: Top Ten Instructor Award. Montana State University
- 1998 Who’ s Who Among Americas’ Teachers
- 1998 Phi Kappa Phi-Anna Krueger Fridley Teaching Award. Montana State University
- Sowell, B., Wambolt, C., Paddock, J., Lane, V. and Frisina, M., 2016. Wyoming Big Sagebrush and Herbaceous Cover Relationships. Environmental Management and Sustainable Development, 5(1), pp.179-186.
- Woodward, J., Sika, J., Wambolt, C., Newell, J., Schroff, S. and Sowell, B., 2016. Sage-Grouse Nesting, Brood and Winter Habitat Characteristics in Montana. Environmental Management and Sustainable Development, 5(1), pp.126-139.
- Kitchen, K.A., Goldsmith, B., Robison-Cox, J., Frisina, M. and Sowell, B., 2015. Sagebrush Response to Conifer Cover. Environmental Management and Sustainable Development, 5(1), pp.17-29.
- Runyon, M.J., D.B. Tyers, B.F. Sowell and C.N. Gower. 2014. Aspen Restoration Using Beaver on the Northern Yellowstone Winter Range under Reduced Ungulate Herbivory. Restoration Ecology 22:555-561.
- Porter, T.F., C. Chen, J.A. Long, R. Lawrence, B.F. Sowell. 2014. Estimating biomass on CRP pastureland: A comparison of remote sensing techniques. Biomass and Bioenergy 66:268-274.
- McColley, S. D., D. B. Tyers, and B. F. Sowell. 2012. Aspen and willow restoration using beaver in the northern Yellowstone winter range. Restoration Ecology 20:450-455.
- Kimble, D. S., D. B. Tyers, J. Robison-Cox, and B. F. Sowell. 2011. Aspen recovery since wolf reintroduction on the northern Yellowstone winter range. Rangeland Ecology and Management. 64:119-130.