Dr. Bok Sowell
Dr. Sowell (right) discussing range management with students.
Professor, Range Science
205 Animal Bioscience Building
Bozeman, MT 59717-2900
Phone: (406) 994-5558
Fax: (406) 994-5589
EducationB.S. New Mexico State University, Wildlife Science, 1978
M.S. Texas Tech University, Range Science, 1981
Ph.D. New Mexico State University, Animal Science, 1989
ClassesNRSM 101 Natural Resource Conservation
NRSM 102 Principles of Range Management Lab
NRSM 353 Grazing Ecology and Management
WILD 325 Wildlife-Livestock Range Nutrition
ARNR 544 Advanced Grazing Management and Ecology
- Wildlife habitat
- Ungulate herbivory
- Wildlife/Livestock nutrition
- 2004 President’ s Excellence in Teaching Award. Montana State University
- 2001 Distinguished Teacher Award. Western Section of the American Association of Animal Science
- 2001 Award of Excellence. MSU Alumni/Chamber of Commerce
- 2000 Professor of the Month. Mortar Board. Montana State University
- 1998 College of Agriculture: Top Ten Instructor Award. Montana State University
- 1998 Who’ s Who Among Americas’ Teachers
- 1998 Phi Kappa Phi-Anna Krueger Fridley Teaching Award. Montana State University
- Sowell, B., Wambolt, C., Paddock, J., Lane, V. and Frisina, M., 2016. Wyoming Big Sagebrush and Herbaceous Cover Relationships. Environmental Management and Sustainable Development, 5(1), pp.179-186.
- Woodward, J., Sika, J., Wambolt, C., Newell, J., Schroff, S. and Sowell, B., 2016. Sage-Grouse Nesting, Brood and Winter Habitat Characteristics in Montana. Environmental Management and Sustainable Development, 5(1), pp.126-139.
- Kitchen, K.A., Goldsmith, B., Robison-Cox, J., Frisina, M. and Sowell, B., 2015. Sagebrush Response to Conifer Cover. Environmental Management and Sustainable Development, 5(1), pp.17-29.
- Runyon, M.J., D.B. Tyers, B.F. Sowell and C.N. Gower. 2014. Aspen Restoration Using Beaver on the Northern Yellowstone Winter Range under Reduced Ungulate Herbivory. Restoration Ecology 22:555-561.
- Porter, T.F., C. Chen, J.A. Long, R. Lawrence, B.F. Sowell. 2014. Estimating biomass on CRP pastureland: A comparison of remote sensing techniques. Biomass and Bioenergy 66:268-274.
- McColley, S. D., D. B. Tyers, and B. F. Sowell. 2012. Aspen and willow restoration using beaver in the northern Yellowstone winter range. Restoration Ecology 20:450-455.
- Kimble, D. S., D. B. Tyers, J. Robison-Cox, and B. F. Sowell. 2011. Aspen recovery since wolf reintroduction on the northern Yellowstone winter range. Rangeland Ecology and Management. 64:119-130.