Meat Science Lab
Montana State University Meat and Meat Processing Center
The MSU Meat and Meat Processing Center is a state-inspected facility with the capability for processing meat animals. It has much of the equipment necessary for sausage and ham manufacturing. In addition, there is a chemistry laboratory for analysis of a wide range of physical and chemical properties of meat. Students learn to cut carcasses and manufacture sausages and ham in this facility. As a result there are fresh and processed products available for sale. If you are interested in purchasing a product, please contact the meat lab at 406-994-5565 or email email@example.com.
The mission of the Processing Center is to conduct basic and applied research along with supplying expertise for new product development. The program cooperates with and builds on the strengths and expertise of the Animal and Range Sciences Department. By undertaking both reactive and proactive R & D activities, this initiative serves to increase the amount of value-added meat products and supports the continued viability of Montana's agri-food industry. Applied research efforts involve development and adaptation of new processing technology, with emphasis on product quality, shelf-life and safety. In addition, basic research involves evaluation of factors affecting tenderness, color and other carcass characteristics. One important role of the center is to assist the industry in understanding the needs of customers, both in domestic and export markets. Further outreach programs include short courses and seminars about meat and meat products.
Food Labeling Links
- Trans Fatty Acids in Nutrition Labeling, Nutrient Content Claims, and Health Claims Small Entity Compliance Guide
Meat Regulations Links
- Food Safety Inspection Service
- Code of Federal Regulations
- Labeling 101 - USDA site to help with labeling questions
- HACCP Alliance Scientific Literature Database - This link can be used to search for scientific literature to support HACCP decisions.
Livestock Evaluation Links
Meat Judging Links
- American Meat Science Association - This site includes practice classes, terminology for reasons and other judging information.
Meat Judging Information
- Meat Judging - Contains information about meat judging, where to find more information, and what to look for in individual classes.